Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The internet is turning me into a feminist and I like it *sung in Katy Perry voice*

GO watch:
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVHRJbgLz8

The following is a link to Jessica Rey, a swimsuit designer discussing modesty. I've seen about four or five  different people post this on their Facebook page as well as KSL Five News (Local News-station in Utah) and had a friend commenting on the Youtube video itself.

I have a few things to say about the subject but I feel better discussing my opinion in a blog where I can say my peace and let go some of the anger I feel about this video, the world we live in and the fact that women STILL have to feel guilty about their personal decisions.

Why I am upset:

-This video infers women who choose to wear bikinis lack self respect.
-This video makes men sound like robotic sex crazed creatures who can't control themselves.
-It uses research from a prestigious university which makes it sound more "valid". I am sure the research is accurate but the way they manipulated is wrong. It makes women who do dress differently feel guilty about their clothing choice.
-Modesty is more than wearing a bikini on the beach. It is being gracious towards others different from you including not slut shaming and making any woman feel bad about what she decides to wear. It is her body. It is her choice. It is not a woman's responsibility to dress a certain way to prevent a man for feeling certain feelings about her.
-It is a man's responsibility to respect women regardless of her clothing choice. 
-It is not a woman's fault that the media has taken the female body and distorted it to the point that some men think sex when viewing a female body.
-She tears apart a perfectly happy pop song to use for her own swimsuit selling agenda. As lover of Pop Music I will not put up with this injustice.

Okay I feel a little better...

Mormon side note:
I am a Mormon and I am asked to wear a certain dress code. This is my very personal and spiritual choice to do. I think modesty is a great thing to have in all aspects of life. Once again though, like many things in this life it is a very personal decision for one to make.




No comments:

Post a Comment