Sunday, June 9, 2013

"What do you want?"

Hello! So I realize I was rather... "Sassy" in my last post. If I offended any of the 10 people who read this blog I'm sorry and I meant every word I said.

On to the next one!
I'm trying really hard to write on here at least once a week and since I have yet to obtain a second job this summer, I might actually meet that goal.

Last night I ventured to a far off land called Utah County to visit my dear cousin Rachel. Rachel recently moved down there for school and will be going to UVU in August.

We started off the evening going to see Oz in the dollar theater. The movie was very pretty and a good dollar show. I got to see my homegurl Rachel Weisz who I have idolized since the age of 7 when she was in The Mummy. Zack Braff is also in it who I love. It's worth redboxing. (it that even a word?)

I recently read the book Wizard of Oz in April and have been really thinking about Oz and home and all the things it means to me. The movie is in my top ten favorite movies and I cry every time I watch it. I love the Wizard of Oz  but I won't bore you with a bunch of facts. There is an article about Frank Baum the author of the wizard I enjoyed :)
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Frank-Baum-the-Man-Behind-the-Curtain.html
Also, Ebert's (R.I.P. <3) review of the movie is beautiful.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-wizard-of-oz-1939

We then ventured to a duck pond on BYU campus which literally had six different couples surrounding it cuddling watching the ducks splash in the twilight. We threw fries with her roommate and her roommate's friend at Ducks.

I spent the night and we went to her singles ward in Orem this afternoon and I had a wonderful time in Relief Society. I'm not even sure what the lesson was on but to open up the class the teacher asked,
"What do you want?" 
She passed out papers and I wrote:

-caffeine
-to be healthier
-eternal family
-travel
-a 2nd job
-to graduate college
-to an Art teacher
-to be independent
-move out of Murray

Next she asked what does God want for us and read Matthew 10:39
39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

This lesson was an eye opener for me because I feel like I haven't really been putting God in my life plans lately. My list is all about me. I didn't even mention God or my family in it. I didn't say "I want my mom to be happy at her new job." "I want Brian and Sarah to do well in Kentucky." It's all about me. I do what I want when I want with who I want. I'm in my 20's and I'm single and selfish. This lesson today humbled me. God doesn't want me to be this way. He wants me to be kind and think of others. He wants me to be better for the future and not just "right now". I've had a lot of free time lately and it's making me slow down. I take Lucy for walks, I read, I sit outside, and I think. I love this because I'm finally getting to the point where I'm opening up to God more and not fighting with myself so much. I feel another self-realization that is going to make me a better human being. I'm going to try to be a little less selfish this week and ask what God wants for me.


glow duck at the Duck Pond.


Happy Sunday :)




1 comment: