Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hi my name is Grace Wilson, I'm Mormon and I love gay people.

Hi my name is Grace Wilson, I'm Mormon and I love gay people.

A few years ago, I would be afraid to say that. I would worry about "offending" someone saying that. Because in that statement alone is a world of turmoil. But I am now a little braver and a lot more assertive so here it goes. ( I am so Peggy from Mad Men right now.. Don't worry I will probably post about Mad Men soon enough and why I love it and why I never shut up about it.)

This is what I assume a lot of people our world think when they hear

"Hi my name is Grace Wilson, I'm Mormon and I love gay people. "

-but you're Mormon? How do you love Gay people? 
-Oh well you're just a Fag Hag. You can't get a boyfriend so you hang out with Gay men hoping one day they'll turn for you.
-you're just saying that because it's what your friends are into and you're an art major and all liberal who is fighting "the man". You're too young to understand. 

Now I'm going to address the following not because I should have to do this but because it's the world we live in that I need to address these things.

-but you're a Mormon? How do you love Gay people?

We as Latter Day Saints are supposed to love everyone. There is no clause that says "everyone but" in the Book of Mormon.
3 Nephi 12:16 states "Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
As saints we need to love our LGBT community. It is our responsibility to LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Show people our good works. We treat everyone with kindness and be respectful if someone doesn't think or feel the way you do.

Oh well you're just a Fag Hag. You can't get a boyfriend so you hang out with Gay men hoping one day they'll turn for you.

When I have heard this over my lifetime, I get so angry. It gets under my skin people think of straight people who have gay friends in this way.
1. FAG is never an okay word to use to describe another human being.
2. Hag infers that women who do spend time with the LGBT community are unattractive. It also makes women sound like they must be attractive to be of worth.
3. I am my own person and when I find the right man for me, it will be my choice. Not because I wasn't good enough or because I hang around Gay people who "scare" straight men away. It will because I decided that someone was the right one for me. I don't want to date or marry a man who is homophobic. I won't do it so if I scare a man away someone because they're not open minded enough to be around someone different from them, I don't want to be with them.
4. I have straight, gay and lesbians friends. I don't make friends based on sexual orientation. My gay guy friends are all very handsome fellas but are closer to brothers or distant attractive second cousins. In other words, they're in the friend zone for life.

-you're just saying that because it's what your friends are into and you're an art major and all liberal who is fighting "the man". You're too young to understand.

If you have ever felt left out in your entire life, you're not too young to understand intolerance. I believe I felt out of place and that I was weird at four so no I'm not too young to understand when someone is judging you. My friends are into treating others right because those are the people I want in my life. It's not a phase I'm going through but a constant determination to be better and treat others with love. It's not easy. I'm not standing here perfect. I've treated people with disrespect but it's the trying that is making a little better.

I really needed to get that out in the world. I'm sorry if I was preachy but it is what I believe. We need to change the way we treat others. So have a lovely Sunday. :)

A few pictures from Pride :)

 Me and the beautiful Cassi Mecham. :) I'm excited for her to come to school up north so we hang!
Tadd got an Iphone 5 and now they're our an assortment of awful pictures of me on Facebook being tired and sweaty.
Some lovely ladies from "Ru Paul's  Drag Race." I have the same ears as Pandora's Boxx on the right.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post so much. Like SO SO SO MUCH. Thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete